Each one of you has received a special grace, so, like good stewards responsible for all these graces of God, put yourselves at the service of others. If you are a speaker, speak in words which seem to come from God; if you are a helper, help as though every action was done at God's orders; so that in everything God may received the glory, through Jesus Christ, since to Him alone belong all glory and power for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 4:10-11)
God has gifted all of us in so many different ways so why not share those gifts and talents in the service of others, in the way you can?
Register here or read on for ways to be involved...
1. Information and Welcome
- Answer queries from visitors
- Welcome people and explain the objectives of the Festival
- Explain the layout of the square and the different activities and events
- Help set up the information stalls and man them
2. Street Evangelisation Team
“After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go”. (Luke 10: 1)
- Engaging in faith sharing conversations with passers-by
- Giving out leaflets, Scripture passages and other useful items
- Encouraging people to seek a relationship with God
- Asking people about their experience of faith/God
- Sharing our own story of faith with others
3. Catering & Hospitality Team
- Prepare refreshments for the teams
- Cook and serve lunch for the teams
- Clean and wash up afterwards
4. Logistics and Practicalities
“He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work”. (Exodus 35: 35a)
- Setting up tents: workshops, Adoration.
- Setting up stalls, and signage
- Setting up banners, buntings, reconciliation and prayer spaces
- Coordinate the workshop tents
- Dismantling tents, packing away all materials and equipment
5. Prayer and Intercession
- Prayer Team (to pray in pairs for people in the Prayer Tent)
- Intentionally pray and intercede for the event, both before and during
6. Feet Washing
‘Jesus got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him’. (John 13: 4-5)
At the Last Supper, Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, the One who came, not to be served but to serve. In this, Jesus is showing us His servant heart which is one of love and care for others. He is also teaching us to do the same for others; to be willing to have servant hearts towards others and show love and compassion in caring for the other.
‘Feet Washing’ at Spirit in the City might seem odd and for some shocking but it is a real eye opener for those who partake in this. For those washing the feet of others, it calls us to reflect upon the love God had for His disciples and by extension, all of us. And if we are to emulate Him, why not tend to another in the same manner? For those on the receiving end, this is something they will remember!
For those volunteering at this station, this is prayer and this is outreach. Praying for the person whose feet we are caring for and an opportunity to share with them the first ‘Feet Washing’ ceremony, the Gospel story of God’s love for each of us!
Register here and help us make Spirit in the City happen:
…because our passion for God takes us beyond the church walls!
7. Financial Help and Donations
The Spirit in the City Festival is currently the largest Catholic Festival to be found in the heart of London. The entire programme is financed solely through grants and donations to cover the administrative and publicity costs, as well as the running costs associated with staging the event, i.e. stage and equipment, artists’ fees, refreshments, materials.
We rely entirely on the generosity of our benefactors and we also rely on the many volunteers who freely give of their time and offer their skills to make Spirit in the City a reality.
If you are able to make a financial contribution:
- Click the link above if you would like to make a donation.
- Cheques can be made payable to ‘Notre Dame de France’ and sent to:
Spirit in the City Festival, 5 Leicester Place London WC2H 7BX.
To maximise your donation, please enable us to claim Gift Aid (form can be downloaded from here).
Please keep this venture in your prayers! Here is a link to the official Spirit in the City prayer.